Sivu on muuttanut uuteen osoitteeseen

Vanuatu day 2 - Independence Day & Waterfalls

Friday, July 31, 2009

Vanuatu day 2 - Independence Day & Waterfalls


Still cloudy. So I decided to go to see the waterfalls. Locals told me not to take a taxi because they will only rip off tourists. I was at the bus stop when a local man asked me if I needed a ride somewhere. He was with 2 kids and seemed normal so I decided to save the bus fare and jump in. I know, not my best idea. He dropped me off at the waterfalls and only offered to marry me if I ever decide that I want to stay in Vanuatu for good. What a tempting offer from a fat, old, bearded black guy.


The waterfalls were pretty. Beautiful, fresh turquoise water and pretty fish. There were heaps of falls along a path with slippery stones and water crossings in the middle of a dense rainforest. There weren't many tourists so I was a little bit worried what would happen if I would slip and hurt myself... And then I almost got a coconut in my head! I never realised before they can be so dangerous! They can totally knock you out! Anyway, it was a really beautiful spot. The path led to a big gorgeous waterfall.  I took some pictures but they don't really do justice. 


On the way back the bus driver told me that there is a big Independence Day celebration in the little town of Mele close by. So I asked him to drop me off there. There was music, food and other stalls, a soccer game and people chilling and mingling. I had lunch there, probably one of the dogs hanging around but it was ok. I really love the dresses that all the local women wear, a special kind of colorful dresses, that are called Island dresses or 'Mother Hubbard'. 


I found a nice bar by the harbour with wifi, reggae music, tourists chilling… So I had a couple of beers while I filled my visa application for Australia. When I was about to leave, this guy, Darren, came to talk to me and bought me a beer and afterwards even dinner. He was also coming from Melbourne and travelling by himself. He told me he was going to Hideaway Island the next day and asked if I’d like to join him. He seemed ok so I thought why not, I was kinda getting sick of my own company anyway. After dinner he walked me home cause he also thought that it’s definitely not safe to walk by myself in the dark… I got home at 9pm and went straight to sleep! The nightlife is not very wild here!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olehan tyttö varovainen! Älä ota turhia riskejä! Täällä ollaan kuin tulisilla hiilillä! Kirjoittaa isukki

July 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home